Wednesday, September 09, 2020

Thoughts From Driving Across The Country

 These are my thoughts after driving nearly 1,000 miles the past few days.

-Market action as we chronicled last week has been downright ugly.  We are seeing a bit of a bounce today but that's to be expected given how oversold we've become.  Still what's sold off have been the high flyers that have come to dominate the major indices this year.  Looking at those sectors you can see they've basically retraced their blow-off runs in August.  Right now most of the ones I follow are back to where they were trading in Mid-August, which means these sectors are still up double-digits for 2020.  These sectors, basically technology and health care, could go nowhere the rest of 2020 and still have stellar performance for the year.

-Leaves were turning in the mountains as we drove west.  Very unseasonable cold snap here in Chicago.  Snow already in Denver.  Why do I think we're going to have a rough winter in 20-21?

-It seems there's more traffic on the roads now than we experienced when we drove east in early August.  I know the rest areas seemed busier.  My hunch is that Americans are venturing out more than the press wants to admit.  Everybody had on a mask, even in places that have been resistant to wearing them.  

-I'm not sure that everybody is going to want to work from home forever.

Anyway that's some quick musings from my drive.  Back later this week.

*I own ETFs related to technology and health care in client and personal accounts.