Tuesday, July 14, 2020

A Thought That Has Nothing To Do About Investing

A thought came to me as I was walking through our neighborhood over the past few days and watched a group of kids absolutely breeze by me on bikes.  The group was both boys and girls, I'm guessing ages 9-13.  The boys weren't wearing shirts, the girls all had on shorts covering swimsuits.  That's because I think everybody was swimming in a blow up pool in somebody's backyard.   Everybody was yelling and screaming in glee as they raced around the corner as fast as their legs could take them.

I think the first summer for kids in the age of Covid is going to look like summers when I was growing up.  There's not going to be a lot of organized activities for them and maybe not much vacation time either.  From what I can tell in good weather their parents are kicking them out of the houses around us and forcing them to make fun and games up on their own.  There aren't around us vacant spaces for kids to play sandlot baseball but that doesn't seem to be stopping them so far from finding ways to play games.  A few streets over on a cut-de-sac somebody's set up a portable basketball hoop and kids are constantly there shooting around.

It won't surprise me if in 20-30 years when today's children look back on this summer that they don't say something like this, "You know looking back on that summer when we were all locked down because of Covid was pretty good to be a kid.  We went out and played, got into a bit of mischief and generally caroused around the block.  We were in and out of people's homes {despite what our parents tried to stop us from doing} and for the most part looked after ourselves.  It was a summer about nothing.  It was great!"

Now it's too soon for that history to be written and hopefully the virus doesn't mutate into something worse.  While for most of the world Covid is a big strain, but I'm not sure in many places it's so bad to be a kid in a summer where adults can't tell you what to do all the time.

I'll be back with hopefully something a bit more constructive later in the week.