Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Political Conventions

Both a client and friend who have apparently watched more of the ongoing Republican and Democratic national conventions asked me how their opposing views meshes with my belief that there is more in this country that unites us than divides us.  Here's my answer.

First let me say that I haven't seen one moment of either.  Frankly I can't get interested in virtual infomercials that are long on bashing the other side and short on what each wants to do if elected.  That said I have read the reviews of both and so far nobody has any great shining moments.  I'll also say about 85% of Americans must agree with me because the number of people watching has plunged from four years ago.  

That being said I believe both of our mainstream political parties have been moving away from the political center.  I don't believe this is a viable long-term strategy for either.  My guess is that one or the other moves back towards the center or a new political party will be formed some time in the next decade to try and recapture those voters in the middle.  

Forcing one of the parties back towards the middle is probably the easier of the two options.  Believe it or not I think the party most likely to move that way may be the Democrats.   I could also see the people furthest on the left of the Democratic party bolting if many of their proposals show no signs of being enacted and that could give moderates a shot.

This isn't something that's going to happen soon but I'm willing to bet we see some sort of restructuring of the parties over the next decade if current trends persist.  Probably over half the country would prefer somebody besides either President Trump or Mr. Biden on the ballot this fall.  Those preferences are going to become increasingly strident as the younger generations reach political maturity.

At least that's how I see it.