Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Postscript

I'm going to add a few postscripts today that are follow ups to some things I've recently discussed here.  

It is a central principal I carry which I've discussed several times on this blog {see here and here} that there is more that unites us as a nation than the press and popular culture would have you believe.  Turns out I may be onto something.  Harvard's Carr Center for Human Rights and Institute of Politics recently ran a survey and found that more than 7 in 10 believe they have more in common with one another than many think.  One of the key findings in that poll was “That a majority of Americans are fed up with polarization and looking for ways to reimagine the values they have in common — the rights and responsibilities important to being an American today.”   Now this is only one poll and some might question its accuracy but it's closer with what I see than what you'll find out there in the public domain.   You can read about the poll here if your so inclined.

Back towards the end of August I discussed our political parties in terms of their respective conventions and my belief that one of them in the long run will need to pivot back towards the American middle or risk the formation of a third party.  Shortly after that I listened to an interesting podcast over at the Freakonomic's website on our broken political system.  If you want an interesting take on politics, as well as a different way to view our political parties then go listen over there to "America's Hidden Duopoly."  It examines our parties as if they were businesses.  It's insightful if your into understanding our modern political realities.  

Finally, the other day in the post just under this one, I discussed three things that everybody just knows.  It's may take on things the world seems certain about that are possibly inaccurate.   I'm going to add one more to that list.  Everybody just knows that people are going to be content hunkering down forever working in their homes.  Everybody just knows that nobody wants to ever go back to work again in an office.  Except I'm not so sure of that.  I wonder how many are starting to express the same thoughts as passed on to me yesterday by somebody who does some work for me who said he couldn't wait to get back into his office.  He's tired of working from home.  Now maybe he doesn't want to go back to the old 9-5 routine but I'll bet he and a bunch of other people in this country are itching to get back out there in the world.  This may become especially true as summer wains here in the north and people begin to contemplate months of being potentially cooped up again.  There's been countless speculation on the death of the office but I'm not sure I'd put all those towers up for sale yet if I owned one.

Finally regarding the markets anybody who tells you they know for sure what's going to happen the rest of this year, or even into 2021 for that matter, is dissembling at best.  Nobody can know even in a more normal year, which this one definitely isn't on that list.  Make sure your portfolios are in tune with your risk/reward perimeters and timelines.

Back Tuesday or Wednesday next week.