Tuesday, December 17, 2019

While I've Been Gone....

The financial blogging world has moved without me over the 10 days as events both personal and business have conspired to soak up what time I might have putting something up here.   In general stocks have been in a bullish mode.  Positive economic news, at a minimum a truce in the trade war and a quiet Federal Reserve have helped push things up a bit.  Add into that a growing sense that the end is known in the impeachment proceedings, along with a view that perhaps the moderates are gaining the upper hand over in the Democratic party.  Also I don't think one can ignore the seasonal patterns that have traditionally pointed to a more optimistic view of things in the last few weeks of the year.  

The question must be how much of this current move higher in markets is stealing gains from next year?  This is  impossible to answer because there are too many variables out there I think right now to even try and hazard a guess.  I do know that for most of the investment community things will start to shut down at the end of this week.  Whatever year most investors are having is baked into the cake now for good or ill.  The holidays are approaching and the week between Christmas and New Year's is traditionally a period where many are gone or at least have other thoughts besides the markets.  The investment class will start to worry about 2020 returns come January 2nd.  

In that vein I will tell you that my postings are going to be infrequent between now and 2020.  I have too much on my plate right now.  I have one thing I'm working on regarding the national mood of pessimism the press is constantly throwing our way but beyond that there's not much in the hopper.  I'm going to try and pick it up again on a more frequent basis in 2020.

I also want to thank all of you who've said such nice things to me and my family this fall during a very trying time.

See you back here in 2020!