Tuesday, April 28, 2020

The Undiscovered Horizon {Trucks}

I ran a running series of posts starting at the end of the Great Recession titled "Things are Getting Better" from time to time chronicled how things were improving as the economy and society began their long recovery from that economic depression.  This is new series  in a similar vein as that older grouping.  This is a new series and to differentiate it from the older postings I'll call this "The Undiscovered Horizon".  The title is in recognition that many things will be different on the other side of this pandemic and we need to try and recognize some of the ways that may occur and hopefully identify some of the key themes.  

Today I'm giving an anecdotal piece of evidence that maybe things are trying to get moving again.  A dirty secret I have is that I've been playing golf for the last month or so at a course over in Indiana about 90 minutes from my house....I know the whole thing about sheltering in place, but some courses are open in Indiana, everybody stays six feet away and we all had our own carts.  It is easy to social distance at golf.

At any rate the highways have been empty since mid-March owing to the stay at home orders in both Illinois and Indiana.  Yesterday there was definitely more traffic on the way over to the course.  What I noticed was the pick-up in truck traffic which indicates to me that things are starting to move about again.  Maybe businesses aren't open yet but maybe everybody is stocking up in anticipation to things beginning to loosen up a bit in the coming weeks.  

It may be a thin reed and time will tell if I'm right.  I just know what I saw.  Took longer to get to the course because of all the trucks.  That's my tell.

Back Thursday or Friday.