Saturday, April 04, 2009

My Muses Revisited.

Since it's been awhile, I thought I would revisit the cast of characters, muses & mentors who make up my investment network. These are the people who I talk to in my business about the markets and with whom I bounce around ideas. Obviously these aren't their real names or my real nicknames for them. Some of these are also combinations of various folks I know. I'm introducing them so I can reference them in the future without compromising their real identities. I'll also list a few terms you might see around these parts every once and awhile.
Grumpy-Portfolio Manager with over 40 years in the business. Has seen it all. Called 2000 market top but was nine months early. Has been bullish on stocks since December.
The Patrician-Stock Broker, old line Chicago family. Has the golden Rolodex.
Consigliere-40+ years as a stock broker, smartest guy I've ever met regarding investing for individuals. Taught me most of what I know about the business. He's the guy who pulled me into his office the week after the 1987 crash and told me to take a look at these stock prices because I'd never see them this low again in my life time. He's also the fellow that then told me to go out and buy something for my clients right away. I did. I bought General Electric. {GE}
Paulie-an amalgamation of several fast money people I know at various investment firms (in my business we call them shops) around the country. Paulie is usually wrong. Paulie told me I was stupid for not buying internet companies in 2000. Paulie moves around a lot and has probably lost close to a billion dollars for people in 2008.
Whiz kid-a very intelligent younger broker I know. He often has great ideas but lacks a certain amount of investment discipline. Loves fancy clothes.
NY Slim {hereafter Slim}-a well known hedge fund manager whom I've had a certain amount of contact with over the years.
Bondman-My fixed income idea guy. He really knows the credit markets. He gave me a heads up on how credit was locking up earlier this year which is one of the reasons we raised cash in appropriate client accounts in May. Has worked for an array of bond houses over the years. He's the Typhoid Mary of the investment business because every one of these places has now gone under or been bought out.
Boston Boys-An amalgamation of different institutional brokers I know on the East Coast & one fellow who works in Europe. They are more fast money types as the hedge fund industry makes up a big portion of their clientele. Several of these fellows have lost their jobs recently.
Gracie-Stockbroker for very high net worth clientele working for a major investment house in an East Coast city. Very conservative.
Brain Trust-fellows with whom I play tennis on Mondays. Most are in the investment business. They WYWEG indicator is named after them.
Hedge Fund Boy-a sharp younger fellow with a wicked tennis serve who runs a fund of funds hedge fund group for a very large institution. I have a market bet with him that states stocks will not revisit their lows seen in early March for the next two years.
NBBT-Next Big Bad Thing. An over analyzed event that is widely scrutinized by market participants because it is so well known it hardly ever comes to fruition. Unlooked for NBBT however is the real thing. 9-11 qualifies as this. So does the current housing crisis.
*Long General Electric stock in certain client accounts.