Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The Revolution Is Televised

With apologies to the 1960s, the revolution is televised.  

Case in point was my daughter's graduation from Butler University this weekend.  Our family was well represented but there were many that couldn't attend. My mother-in-law was unable to attend, as well as my younger daughter who is studying in Spain and various other members who live scattered around the country.  That was no problem as Butler streamed the entire thing on line.  Both were able to watch in real time and probably had a better view than we did.  I know they weren't as uncomfortable.  Butler's graduation is held in historic Hinkle Fieldhouse.  Hinkle may by a shrine to Indiana Basketball, but it was built in 1928 and has no air conditioning.  Saturday was one of those humid, sticky days that start visiting the middle parts of the country about this time of year.  

Streaming is not a new technology, but the fact that my daughter could watch in real time half way around the world is just another example of how the world is changing.  Students texted and photo-bombed each other during the two hour ceremony while, the professor who gave the faculty speech took a "Selfie" of himself with the student body as the backdrop.  I also noticed there were many parents, myself included, that ditched the camera for their cell phone.  

The next day, when we were able to get into my daughter's new apartment in Indianapolis I was able to take a video of the place and send it to my wife who had to return to Chicago earlier than me.  She has a better idea of what the place looks like than if she had to rely on my description of it.

One thing that probably never changes though is parent's emotions to watching their children walk across the stage and receiving their college degrees.  I'll also end with this.  My daughter may have been ready to graduation but I'm not sure her father was prepared for the day!