Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Asset Classes

I saw these charts yesterday over at All Star Charts.  Mr. Parets, who writes that blog, does an excellent job putting out visual illustrations along with concise interpretations of different investment concepts and ideas.  

Here's how several major asset classes have done in 2014.


Commodities and bonds significantly outperforming stocks.  That's an inverse of 2013 where stocks trounced everything else.


Market Sectors are mixed.  Health care and utilities the winners.  Utilities likely winning for their yields and defensive nature in more volatile markets.

International markets have clearly under performed.  Longer term I think these look attractive as I've said before but so far that has not been a rewarding investment theme.  


*I will mention that I am long various international ETFs in client and personal accounts since I highlighted that investment theme.