Tuesday, September 25, 2012

IPhone 5

I had a late morning appointment yesterday near the Apple store in Oak Brook, Il.  Since I had a few minutes to kill I went in and had a look at the new iPhone.  I'll skip a review of all the fancy stuff that you can find all over the web and besides I looked at the thing for maybe five minutes so not sure what I could tell you about all the new wonderful features anyway.   Here's my quick two cents.

Phone is lighter.  You can tell that right away.  Phone is light enough to almost feel cheaply made.  Not saying it is.  Just saying that it feels that way from my point of view.

Bigger screen is useful for those of us with eyes over 50.  That being said, other than the occasional U-Tube video, I rarely watch anything on my phone.

Didn't try the camera.  Pictures I've seen though seem to be a marginal improvement.

Software:  For me most of the useful new software features on the phone for the 5, I was able to download in I OS. 6.

Siri:  Still a big disappointment.  Doesn't seem to work much better for me than the original.

Bottom line:  Phone is a marginal improvement.  I think this is less an issue with Apple than a fact that the easy fruit in the smart phone/ tablet space has already been scooped up.  Won't rush out to trade in my current phone.  Will likely buy a new one when my cellphone contract is up.  Since that will likely be sometime next year I think I could skip this whole generation and just wait for the 6 if there is going to be one.

Also saw the Samsung Galaxy S3.  Nice but not nice enough to get me to switch.

Just my opinion so take this for what it's worth.

*Long ETFs that hold Apple Computer as an underlying component in client and personal accounts.  Long Apple Computer in certain client accounts at clients' personal discretion.