Friday, December 23, 2011

Thank You So Very Much

To all my clients, friends of my company and readers of this blog:

Usually you receive a holiday card from me. This year I’m doing something different. You see 2011 has been the 10th anniversary of Lumen Capital Management, LLC. When I embarked on this journey I could have hardly imagined that I would be working through such a tumultuous time! Looking back, I’m amazed at how quickly it all went! When I started this adventure my children were eleven, eight and six. Now my oldest is preparing to graduate from Providence College, I have a freshman at Butler University and my youngest just received her driver’s license. I have now watched many of my client’s children grow up as well! There is also something my father told me years ago.

My Dad was a country lawyer in Union City, Indiana. His was the most retail variety of law that could be practiced. He did everything from wills to divorces, business law to DUI work. Add a bit of criminal work and a little work for the county and you would have his business. He kept “farmer’s hours” on Saturday until he was sixty. That meant his office was open Saturday morning when farmers traditionally came into town. As such my Dad dealt with everybody. I believe I inherited my love of people from him. Dad gave me four pieces of advice when I started out as a stock broker, long before I ever hoped to build my firm.

“Be the best you can be at what you do, be frank, be honest and if possible do business with people you like.”

I have tried to follow all four of his lessons, particularly when it comes to liking my clients. Words alone will never convey how honored I have felt over the years for the opportunity to do business with you. Many of you have been with me through some very troubling financial times in the markets so thank you for your continued trust and support.

We're going to take a little time off between Christmas and New Year's.  Many years ago I was a student in Vienna, Austria.  I always promised myself if able that I'd take my kids someday to a few of my favorite spots over there.  I'm keeping my word this Christmas as I'm taking my family to parts of Germany & Italy.  Since both countries are ground zero for the debt issue over there, I'll report back what I learn in January.  Posting is going to basically be non-existent over the next two weeks unless some major issue comes up.  We'll pick this up again sometime in early January. 
Once again please let me say thank you for the opportunity to serve you during these past ten years. For what it’s worth in the business department I think this next decade will surprise us in a more positive manner! Hopefully I will be writing a similar letter to this on the anniversary of my 20th year in business as well. I hope you have a merry holiday season this year. It is also my hope that 2012 is joyous and profitable for both you and your family.

By the way, I often putter around my office on Saturday mornings as well!

Very truly yours,

Christopher R. English

Then:


Now!