Monday, December 04, 2006

Pfizer vs. Exchange Traded Funds {ETF's}

Event risk struck Pfizer {PFE}stock today on news of the cancellation of a promising anti-cholesterol drug. As of this writing PFE is trading down $3.30 per share. An approximate one day loss of 12%. I quickly did a spot check of some I-Shares ETF's where Pfizer is a major component.

Here are the quick facts.*

I-Shares Dow Jones Healthcare Sector {IYH}- PFE is 11.69% of the fund. Down 32 cents or .57% (less than 1%).
I-Shares Dow Jones Pharmaceutical Sector {IHE}-PFE is 8% of the fund. Up 6 cents.
I-Shares Global Healthcare Sector {IXJ}-PFE is 8.49% of the fund. Down 40 cents or .67% (less than 1%).


*At the time of this publication Lumen Capital Management was long shares of IXJ for clients although positions can change at any time. Nothing here should be viewed as a recommendation by Mr. English or Lumen Capital Management, LLC to buy or sell any of the above mentioned shares.